Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Truth or Consequences

Recently, I was reading through some of those prophetical books in the bible and came across some of the pending judgements of God that was prophesied by the prophets.

For example, the prophet Habakkuk (written about 700 BC) wrote about coming judgement. The judgement was coming on people and nations because greedy people had made themselves wealthy by extortion. Habakkuk said that judgement was coming because of the violent and because of those that had used wine and drugs to exploit others. Judgement was also coming because most had looked to other gods rather than the one true God to give guidance.

As a result, there were consequences; God was going to use the ruthless Babylonians to come, kill, conquer and destroy the people.

My first thought was "Wow, I'm glad God didn't call me to be a prophet like Habakkuk". My second thought however was a quick check on my own behavior and lifestyle as I certainly don't want to be included in the judgment of the wicked.

However, I think there is another more important message here. God has given us His truth and if we don't embrace His truth we are going to have to suffer the consequences.

I know that isn't a very popular message in the church today. It wasn't in Habakkuk's time either. Nevertheless, "truth or consequences" needs to be a part of our understanding of reaching the unconverted, teaching the converted, raising our children and establishing the legacy of the Kingdom of God.

The Real Virus Is Fear

There is a virus that is attacking and ravaging this country but it is not Covid-19.   It is fear.  This fear is being spread by people ...