Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And on the Seventh Day.......

My wife and I recently returned from a brief 5-day trip to Mackinac Island, situated on the Straits of Mackinac and between the upper and lower peninsula of Michigan.

While it's difficult to admit, it was one of the first vacations I have taken in a while. It seems like there is always something going on, something urgent at the office to attend to and it's all too easy to ignore the need to rest and relax.

I don't know whether you call it a "moment" or an "Epiphany" or something else but God definitely seemed to be taking me to task about this idea of rest and relaxation.

Just a week before, one of my board members also chided me for my lack of attention to this concept of an extended rest that we so often ignore in this busy fast-paced world.

It just so happens that the trip also was an opportunity to catch up with some good friends that we hadn't seen in a number of years. We used to spend lots of time with them. Good neighbors, friends from church, adopted families and parents of children our children's age. When we were together again, even if briefly, it seemed like the time spent apart was not as great as the bonds that were drawing us together.

My wife (the smart one in our relationship) reminded me that it was the time that was invested in each other that likely was the reason we became such good friends. Time that is still available to invest in people both family and friends if we want to continue to have special friends.

Mackinac Island may not be the place for everyone: Just a small island with a tiny town, there are no cars, only bikes and horses. Cell phone service is lousy and 90% of the land is state-owned and consists of mainly trees and trails and beautiful views of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. And other than the Grand Hotel of "Somewhere in Time" movie fame, most of the hotels are only fair.

At the same time, it was a great place to rest, relax and reacquaint ourselves with that inner need to take some time off. I need to do it more often. Maybe even every week, maybe every seventh day.

I think I read that somewhere.

The Real Virus Is Fear

There is a virus that is attacking and ravaging this country but it is not Covid-19.   It is fear.  This fear is being spread by people ...